Thursday, April 11, 2013

# 3


Dear untaneekuh,
 
How are you all doing? I miss you all so much! I have shown my roommates here all of my pictures of you guys. (Trevor they think you are a stud and Asia they think you are so cute...I told them they should get to know you both first...haha just kidding ;))
 
So last Thursday after I wrote home, my zone went to the Provo temple together. It was nice to have a break from learning Armenian and also from being in the MTC...It's awesome here, but sometimes I just need a break.
 
On Friday, my zone decided to fast for General Conference so that we could get the most out of what was taught over the weekend. We went a sold 24 hours with no food...it was crazy, but defienitely worth it. I know that because of the fast I got so much more out of General Conference.
 
On Saturday and Sunday, my zone was blessed to have gotten seats for all four sessions of General Conference in the main MTC auditorium and we didn't have to go into the overflow. It was so neat to look down the rows of missionaries and see everyone taking notes. After the sessions, our zone had testimony meetings where we bore our testimony about what was spoken at General Conference. On Saturday night, I bore my testimony about families and missionary work since those two topics really stuck out to me during General Conference. I loved all of the talks on stabilizing the family and creating a Christ-like home. It provides strength and peace for the family. I also loved the talks focused on missionary work and bringing others unto Christ (but I think everyone here at the MTC is partial to that haha). On Saturday night, while the Elders were at Priesthood Session, the Sisters were able to go to a broadcast of the General Young Women Conference. I don't know if you went or saw it Asia, but I love love loved it! You should definitely watch it. Elder Uchtdorf spoke and he is the man. He talked about life being a journey and how our goal is to make it back to our Heavenly Father. He said that when we do, "Heavenly Father will reach to you with outstretched arms and say you've made it back home." Ah, I love that!!
 
So here are my challenges for our family (and others who are reading) after listening to General Conference: After sending 10 texts, memorize one scripture. (Probably a scripture mastery verse - hint hint Trevor and Asia.). No computer for a week...except to DearElder me and write me :) Which by the way...thank you for the DearElders Mom! I get them the day you write them, so I feel very updated on how things are going. Kneel together every night for family prayer. I know we prayer together as a family every night, but a General Authority bore testimony of the strength families receive when they kneel together in prayer. For an hour a day go without electronics (including music, phones, tv, comps...)
 
Try that out for a week and see what happens...also, to anyone reading this...feel free to get on my family's case and check up on them to see how they're doing on this challenge for me. ;)
 
So anyway on Sunday, after General Conference,our zone had a picnic and we all shared treats we had gotten in packages and we kept inviting people walking by to join in. By the end it was just one big crowd of missionaries getting to know each other and relaxing on the Sabbath. It was fun to get to know others and see where they would be serving. It's awesome to learn phrases in other languages. After the picnic, we went on a Sunday walk up to the Provo temple. It was the first time our Swedes, Brits and Spaniards had been to the temple so we got a few pictures for them. They seem to be really enjoying their time here in America (even though we like to talk to them in their accents...they seem to not mind. haha.)
 
Sunday night there is always a fireside. This Sunday my district was asked to usher for the devotional. So we arrived early and went "backstage" to get trained and everything. While backstage, we met Vocal Point (the BYU acapella group that competed on national TV). They are super friendly and we were able to talk with them for a bit before we had to usher for the devotional. At the devotional, they talked about their missions (they all had served), they bore their testimonies and sang their favorite church hymns for us. It was incredible. I felt the Spirit so strong! After the devotional, my zone had another testimony meeting.
 
On Monday, nothing real interesting happened. Just more class. We did start teaching a new "investigator" though. Samvel (or Brother Carlson) is a very friendly man. He has a wife and two children. He is unemployed and does not know how to read. He has a lot of questions about prayer. We are hoping in our next lesson to teach him about prayer and the restoration and how he can communicate with God and receive personal revelation.
 
On Tuesday, Elder Lund (a released General Authority) came and spoke at a devotional. He talked about the importance of revelation and how we can remain worthy to receive revelation. One of my favorite quotes was "If you want to talk to God, kneel down in prayer. If you want God to talk to you, open the scriptures." So many times I have had a question and opened my scriptures and read something that gave me an answer. Even though I probably read that specific scripture so many times, it stuck out that particular time so that I could know the answer to my question. I  mentioned that in the testimony meeting after the devotional and Brother Laney (in our Branch Presidency) talked about that for the rest of the time. We all looked up scriptures that taught us that we need to act for ourselves or do our part to search for an answer. Heavenly Father won't just give it to us right away...he wants us to try finding an answer and put forth some faith first.
 
On Wednesday, Brother Carlson taught us about "planting Christ's words within us" and as we nourish that seed with faith it will grow into a tree which will bear fruit. He related bearing fruit to understanding and utilizing Christ's atonement. He then explained the different between bringing forth fruit. To bring forth fruit is to help someone else understand and utilize Christ's atonement. As a missionary, I have a big responsibility to bring others unto Christ. But as members of the church with testimonies and understand of our own, we ALL have the privelege and responsibility to help others bear their fruit.  We also role played and pretended to be investigators ourselves and practiced teaching each other.
 
Later that day, we taught Hovo, our other investigator (Brother White). He is a theologist and is very knowledgable about the Bible. We talked to him about the restoration with very little use of our notes and our lesson lasted about 45 minutes! Crazy huh? It wasn;t perfect and Armenian is still a very hard language and Kuyr Jack and I often get frustrated that we haven't learned it all yet...but then we step back and think wait, we've only been here for two weeks. We are definitely receiving help from above though, because there is no way two weeks ago we could have given a 45 minute lesson all in Armenian. Brother White was super proud of us, but I know that there is always something that we can improve on.
 
Sister Crawford helped us on Wednesday to practice our vocabulary. She also gave us tips on what to expect in Armenia. Like what the food, weather and people are like. I seriously cannot wait to get out there already!! Today, after writing emails and letters, Kuyr Jack and I are going to the Provo temple again. Always the highlight of my week. Preparation day is also marvelous in that I reserve eating junk food and the BYU Creamery Chocolate milk as an incentive for working hard during the week. Also, I get to wear pants instead of a skirt...which make me super happy.
 
Anyway, how is everything going? Asia, has your ankle healed yet? Trevor, GO ON A DATE! And tell me all the details :) Have the missionaries moved into the old house yet? I also saw Sister Liz Jensen here at the MTC! We eat together sometimes and she also sat a few rows behind me in General Conference. She is wonderful.  :)
 
I appreciate all of the DearElders, letters and packages I have received from everyone! My district doesn't receive a lot of mail, so any mail on how the outside world is doing is wonderful! Also, if anyone could write to Elder Connor Webb (same address as me) that would be wonderful. He is our District Leader and our Zone Leader (since he is the only Elder) and he hasn't received like any mail. It's been a real bummer for him. Thanks!!
 
Dad, I have seen Sister Beck a few times since being at the MTC and she seems to be doing great! Tell President Beck that she is doing well and that she is awesome!
 
Mom, also if you haven't sent that package yet, could you include some socks and maybe my NY Aero zip up hoodie please? I lost some socks while doing laudry and I forgot to pack a hoodie...but that's all right if you already sent the package. Thanks!
 
I love you all and miss you so much!
 
Yes seerum em dzez,
Kuyr Morreall (Kuyer or Kuyr...I've seen it spelled both ways.)


1 comment: