Monday, October 13, 2014

#78

Dear Family,

I hope you all enjoyed General Conference. I finally watched it in English this week! I loved the Korean girls singing during the Women's session as well. So cute. 

Thanks for your love and support for my whole mission. I love you all and will see you on Saturday!



President's email to me:

Sister Morreall, as you stated in your letter you may not have been perfect, however you probably are as close as anyone I've known. You are so Christlike. You have been here, and I'm sure will continue to be amazing throughout your lifetime. We are so grateful to you. And so happy you touched our lives. We will be better for having known you.
I can only imagine the reunion at the airport as you embrace your sweet mother. Oh that I could be a fly on the wall.
Thank you for all you have done. So much of greatness lies in store.
We love you!

Dear President, 

Thank you so much for your kind email. I can't believe time is coming to an end here in Armenia. I wish I could express how much my mission has meant to me over email, but I feel like I'll never be able to do it justice. The experiences I've had here have shaped me. I never knew how much Heavenly Father has in store for all of His children until I became a missionary and accepted the call to help Him bring to pass His work and glory. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan and a purpose for each of us.

I don't dream a lot, but a few weeks before I sent in my mission papers I had a dream. In my dream I remember standing in a white room just looking down at my hands. In my hands was a large envelope with my name on it. I carefully turned it over and began to open the envelope. I gently took out the white piece of paper and brought it up closer to read. I quickly realized it was not written in English, but rather a funny looking language with a lot of "w" and "h" looking letters. "What in the world is this?", I thought. I began at the first line. Surprisingly, I could understand everything that was written. It was a mission call letter for me, stating everything that is written in a normal missionary call letter, except for where I would be serving and when I would report. I looked over the letter and searched for where I would be going but never discovered it from the paper. I then woke up. 

A few weeks later, I received my mission call letter and read "Armenia Yerevan Mission." I wondered "where is that?" After quickly searching the internet, I knew almost everything about the country, or so I thought. I discovered the language was the language that I had seen in my dream and had read with ease. I was filled with peace that Armenia was where I needed to be. 

I thought I would be reporting on June 19th, like my call letter stated, but the Lord had a different plan for me. I got an email a week after I opened my call asking if I could report sooner. After careful thought and discussion with my parents, I accepted the invitation to report March 27th. I made it through the MTC and finally to country by June. 

As you know, in my training I found out from home that my mom has a form of brain cancer. The day I found out, you gave me a priesthood blessing. You blessed me with love and a greater understanding of the Plan of Salvation and my Father's plan for me and my family. 

That night I went home thought about the events of the day. I cried. When it was almost time for bed that night, I went into the bathroom and locked myself in. I lowered myself to the floor and poured my heart out to my Father in Heaven. I wanted to know what His plan was for me. I begged for strength and to feel His love. I asked a special blessing over my mom and my family. I can't express in words how I felt that night, the best I can come is the scripture D&C 84:88 "my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." I know that Heavenly Father sent angels to me that night. 

Since that night, I've tried so hard to develop a deeper relationship with my Father in Heaven through prayer and through coming to know His son, Jesus Christ. I've tried to know and understand His will for me, so that His will is my will. I make mistakes every day, but I've tried to become better for Him. So that He could sanctify and use me at His will. I've come to understand the difference between doing Christlike things and becoming Christlike, and I have tried to hold myself accountable to Him of everything I've learned, done and become here. 

I mentioned that when I first learned about Armenia, I thought I knew everything from the internet. It wasn't until I got to country that I discovered how Christlike these people really are. It is only by putting others first that I learned what I needed to do to better improve myself. I have learned much about my Savior and the type of person that He is through the sweet acts and uplifting words of the Armenians. I've learned much about patience as they waited for me as a struggled to bear my testimony on my first Sunday in country. I've learned much about diligence and hard work as I have worked with Armenians in their orchards picking fruit, clearing land, and planting seeds. I have learned much about humility as I've entered their homes, which many times have only consisted of a bed, a few shelves, and one light bulb. I have learned of their "hope for a better world, which hope cometh of faith" (Ether 12:4), and I've talked to them about their desires for their families. But most importantly, from the Armenians I have learned how to love as the Savior would. Those who have nothing give everything they have. They prepare meals to give to guests and to neighbors who have even less than them. When marshutanis are cramped and tight, they give up their seats for the awkward Americans who can't keep their balance standing up. When it's cold, they offer the clothing on their backs. When they would use their last bit of money to buy bread, they use it to come to church on Sundays or to go to a meeting with the missionaries. 

They have a phrase in their culture that they use often. It translates to "I would die for you." Often when I hear that phrase, I genuinely think the Armenians would die for me. And then I am reminded of someone who did die for me.

There is One that knows me perfectly. He carried my pains and sins. He suffered for my imperfections. He bled at every pore. He was beaten, bruised, spit upon, and suffered (far more than any missionary has ever experienced). 

He died for me. But He also lives for me. And because He lives, we all will live. I know that He is the Christ of "whom the prophets testified shall come into the world." He is "the light and the life of the world" and that He "drunk out of that bitter cup...and have glorified the Father in taking upon [Him] the sins of the world, in the which [He] suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning." (3 Nephi 11:10-11).

I know that it is only through our Savior Jesus Christ and His atonement that we can become changed, perfected and worthy to live in our Heavenly Father's home after this life. It's all part of His plan for me and for all of us. I know that families are forever. I know that He walks with us and carries us when we can not carry ourselves. I know that miracles are real. I know that Heavenly Father speaks to man and reveals His will for us through the prophets, the scriptures, and prayer. I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ restored to the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was called to open this last dispensation and today Thomas S. Monson leads and directs all of God's children on the earth. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that we can each receive personal revelation from God by reading his words.

Most importantly, I know that God loves us. 

I know that He loves me because just as he answered the prayer of a 14 year old boy in upstate New York, he answered the prayer of a 19 year old girl in her apartment bathroom.

"In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love Him, because He first loved us." (1 John 4: 9-11, 15-16, 18-19)

And I love Him so much! 

I am so grateful for my time here with the Armenians and missionaries who have taught me so much about my Savior. I am so grateful for your and Sister C's example. You've always lead the mission with love, as I imagine the Savior would do if He were here. I know that He is here with you both and that He will continue to bless you, this mission and the people of Armenia and Georgia. Thank you for all that you do. I love you!

Love,
Sister Morreall




No comments:

Post a Comment