Thursday, May 9, 2013

# 7


Family,

First and most important, HAPPY EARLY MOTHER'S DAY!!!! Mom, thanks for being the greatest mom ever! I appreciate all your love and support throughout my life. I know I wouldn't be on a mission if it wasn't for your example and for your love for the gospel. Thank you for teaching me the gospel while I was young. I have been blessed to grow up knowing it. You are such an awesome woman. Strong, loving and caring. Thanks for all of the funny moments, comforting me when I was sad, teaching me at a young age to work hard, and for helping me become the person I am today. I love you! I hope you have a great Mother's Day! If you have the chance you should watch "Mother: An Eternal Partnership With God" and "Mothers and Daughters" on lds.org if you can :)

So this week was pretty much the same as always...with a few highlights of course!


Thursday, I went to the temple which I always mention just because I love it. But other than that we had TRC and taught Aaron and Sage. They had some really great advice for me and Sister Jack. Sister Jack and I have been trying on working at the language and have been in the habit of posing everything as a question (probably because we're not sure if what we're saying all the time is 100% right), but Sage told us to try confidently. We've been working on just being more confident as we speak this past week. After TRC, Brother Carlson talked to us about people's love for and commitment to the gospel. He shared some really awesome stories from Armenia that unfortunately would take too long for me to write. But they were very uplifting for me and Sister Jack and we are even more excited to go out and serve!

Friday, we had intensive language study in the morning. Sometimes, I sit there and think there is no way I am going to remember all of this stuff. But as a I practice it I find it becomes easier and I remember the language rules better. In the afternoon class we had a Culture Night, one of the best experiences here at the MTC!! All three of my teachers came in and talked to us about Armenian history. We mostly talked about traditions within the Armenian Apostolic Church and the Armenian Genocide. Most Armenians believe in God, but they don't know or understand Christ's atonement or why they do some of the things they do in their church. The Armenian people are also tough. They are a people that have been conquered by many empires throughout time. The Armenian Genocide is still a current topic to them today. It was so horrible and it's so sad to think that it isn't recognized by most countries (including the US) today. It's reported that the Armenian Genocide is where Hitler got some of his ideas for the extermination of the Jews. After realizing all of the suffering that these people have gone through, Sister Jack and I just basically had a melt down. How are we supposed to teach these people that God loves them and that he can help them if we haven't experienced what they have? I have no idea what they are going through. As dad would say, it's "the charmed life of Misa Morreall." I just really am striving to come closer to Christ because he knows what these people have gone through and can help me understand and help them.


Saturday, we taught Samvel and Marina...both of our lessons were smooth and they both felt the Spirit strongly. Later, we had a zone activity and got together as a zone and the teachers in our zone talked to us about SYLing more. Then we picked what class we wanted to go to learn more. Sister Jack and I decided to going to the extending commitments class where we discussed who to invite others to act upon what they are being taught and invite them to keep commitments. After that class we had volleyball and here's the funny moment of the day...I went to bump the ball but as it came closer to me I realized it was coming right for my head so I backed up to hit it away, but it just hit me anyway and I fell back in the sand...I wouldn't have told you this story, but my zone thought it was hilarious and told me to tell you that I looked ridiculous...so there you go!

Sunday, Sister Jack and I were asked to be the online trainers. We basically teach and monitor the missionaries who complete their assessments online and make sure they submit their weekly letters to the Branch President. Then we had Mission Conference and heard from the MTC Presidency. Afterwards, in Sacrament Brother Laney was released and we got a new 2nd counselor in the Branch Presidency. I was sad to see President Laney go because he knows so much about the gospel and can recite ever scripture from memory. It's awesome! He also told me I remind him of his daughter-in-law which was really sweet. But I am excited to get to know the new 2nd counselor, Brother Mangum. His wife is from Maine and was super excited to find out I was from New York (yay East Coast)! Later, on the temple walk I ran into Elder Gosper (Dalton) again and talked with him for a bit. It's always great running into people from home. At the fireside, Chad Lewis, former BYU football player and Philadelphia Eagles player, and his wife spoke. He was so awesome! He spoke about how as missionaries we are like as the Stripling Warriors...we were taught by our mothers what is right and now we are acting on it. Others will be blessed because of our actions.

                                                       Familiar face from home (with Dalton -Elder Gosper).

Monday, we taught Gago (brother Carlson)...it was a one time thing. We tried teaching him about the atonement...but he was super hard and we didn't get anywhere. Afterwards, Sister Jack and I just felt the same way we did after culture night. How are we supposed to teach these type of people? Brother Carlson told us about the struggles in Gago's life that he had but that the missionaries told him that they loved him and that God loved him too. He then told us that he knew of a sister who put on her mission papers that she wanted to be sent to the hardest mission in the world. Guess where she got sent? Armenia. I'm not saying that's why she got sent to Armenia...but from what I've heard it's not a piece of cake being a missionary over there. To help lift our spirits, Brother Carlson suggested we read "Beauty for Ashes," a talk by Bruce C. Hafen. I loved it!!! Mom, could you dearelder me that talk please? My day was also brightened when I received a package from home. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Tuesday, we taught Hovo and it was a decent lesson...it started off kind of rocky but Brother White said that we saved it at the end which is good! At the devotional, Eduardo (of the 70) and Norma Gavarett spoke to us on the plan of salvation, repentance and the atonement. I definitely will use some aspects of their talks in my future lessons.

On Wednesday, we taught Samvel and Marina and the lessons were okay. Could have been better, could have been worse. We are still working on ways to improve how we teach. Mom and Dad, any suggestions or tips for me? I also gave a half hour long lesson in Armenian to Brother Carlson and Sister Jack. Sister Jack and I are talking turns teaching from the Book of Mormon and it was my turn this time. I chose to discuss Mosiah 4:1-9 where King Benjamin is talking to his people. He focuses on the atonement and, specifically in verse 9, believing in Christ. I related that to how I need to utilize the atonement and become "at one" with Christ because in Him I can do all things, which includes teaching people that have much greater struggles than I do. Later in the day, 22 new missionaries arrived and were put into our zone (20 elders, 2 sisters). They are going to Indonesia with three different languages in their mission! Awesome, huh?! So our zone just went from 15 people to 27 people and Sister Jack and I will be helping them with their assessments this Sunday. It is going to be a busy next couple of weeks...that's right...couple! I only have 2 1/2 weeks left! I should be getting my itinerary soon so I will let you know that when I get it. I will be able to call at the airport.

Until then, Heavenly Father sure has been  blessing me...I always run into people I know: MacKenzie Peay, Rachael Boody, Heather Willoghby, Liz Jensen, Ellie Ott, Dalton Gosper, Brittany Beck, Kaden Calderwood, Fran Djouken, Bryce Capener, Autumn Cadd and Abby Luthi are all here! I feel so blessed to be serving with all of them at the same time and I know Heavenly Father will be watching out for all of us.


So how are all of you doing? CONGRATS TREVOR FOR DOING AWESOME AT DOUBLEDAY FIELD IN COOPERSTOWN!!!! Just keep striking them out 1,2,3 and you'll be all set bud :) Mini me, how is softball? And school? And boys...and wait, did I say that? Yeah, I did. Mom, could you send me a picture of the house too? Everyone in the zone has one and I want to show everyone where I live haha. Also, Dad...in volleyball when I score a point I say "Boom Shakalaka." Making you proud.

Anyway, I love you all!!!!

Yes seerum em dzez!

Misa

**note from Mom**

Motherhood video: 

No comments:

Post a Comment